Cookies

Tuesday 23 September 2014

10 Books that Left a Lasting Impression

 Hello there! I have seen this tag going about Facebook a bit, so I thought I would turn it into a blogpost. It is a list of ten books that have left their mark on your life, or made you think about something in a different way. This will also enable me to do sort of mini book reviews for each one as well! So onto the list:

1. Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy.
 I initially read this novel as a part of my studies during AS level, and I am now overjoyed as I get to read it again for one of my modules this year! This was the novel that began my love for the way in which Thomas Hardy writes, and for the characters that he depicts. If you want a happy cheerful novel, then don't go for this one! Even though it is quite depressing, it is still such a good read. I love the story of Tess and the BBC series does it justice. 

2. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini 
 Set in Afghanistan when the Russians were in power, this novel takes you up to the Taliban taking over, and the aftermath that follows.  Following both Mariam and Laila, Hosseini tells the story of how their lives intertwine and how the political state of the country affects them. Although harrowing, this was just such a good read! I found it really interesting being able to read about a different culture and country, and also the history of the place itself. 

3. A Circus of Adventure by Enid Blyton.
 Something a bit cheerier for you! Yes this is a child's book, but I still reread this today. It was originally my mum's book, and I enjoyed it even more as I knew that she had enjoyed reading it before I did. This has the generic Enid Blyton style of children solving a mystery, but I was really encapsulated by the story, and I didn't know what was going to happen next. Even though I now know what happens, I still go back to this time and time again to re read. 

4. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë 
This for me, is on par with my love for Tess. This may be owing to the fact that I had to read them at the same time, but this is one of my favourite classics. As it is a Bildunsgroman (coming of age novel) this follows Jane from childhood right through to her adult life. For me, I never understood the love of Mr Darcy, it's Mr Rochester all the way. Full of mystery, education and love, this novel covers a variety of genres which makes the plot stronger.


5. Harry Potter by J K Rowling.
 I don't just mean the first one, but all of them! I know some do not few Harry Potter as 'proper literature' but it had a huge impact on my life! I was of the generation that grew up with Harry, and I was so sad when it came to the end! Some of the books I prefer to the others (FYI my favourite one is The Prisoner of Azkaban) but it just made me wish that Hogwarts was real, and that I could be learning Defence Against the Dark Arts rather than maths. (I have still never used Pythagoras in my day to day life).

6. Atonement by Ian McEwan
 Another sad book. There seems to be a theme here doesn't there? I promise I read happier ones too! Following the lives of Briony, Robbie and Cecilia, this novel is split into 3 parts, with the focus on each of these characters, but continuing on the story throughout. There is also a film adaptation which I would definitely recommend watching. If you're interested in WWII, then you should definitely read this.

7. Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

 Another novel from the Brontë trio, however this is very different to Jane Eyre. You've all probably heard of Heathcliff, the tormented orphan, full of anger and unrequited love. I won't lie, it took me a few attempts to read this, but I think that I may have been a bit young to understand the significance of it when I first tried to read it. After reading this, if I ever go out into the Peaks, or basically anywhere that is a wide expanse of land, I always shout 'Heathcliff' and 'Cathy'. (I've even managed to get Tom to do it too).

8. The Magician's Nephew by C. S. Lewis
 This might be a strange choice out of the Narnia series to make, and I do love the more well known ones, but I chose to include this one, as it made all of the other ones make sense. As I didn't read the series in order, this explained where Narnia, the witch and Aslan actually came from, with little bits that relate to the other novels, so I was able to say 'oh, that's why that's there!'. 

9. Tom's Midnight Garden
 I know there's a few children's stories within my list, but this is because they have stayed with me to this day. If you've never read this, I would definitely recommend to (and with all of the others that I have talked about). It's just such a magical story, and the first time I got the train to Sheffield, we made a stop at Ely, and this is where the characters skate to! I always like being able to put an actual place to the story.

10. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
 I chose to include A Christmas Carol, more for the overall story than the actual book itself. It was always a tradition that near Christmas time I would go and help my Nanna decorate her Christmas tree, and then I would watch the 1951 film adaptation with my Grandad. To this day, this is still my favourite version, and it always will be just because of the memories that surround it. Plus, when I watch or read this, it means it's nearly Christmas and that just makes me so excited!!


 I took this quote off Pinterest and I think it fits perfectly in with the idea of books making an impression on you. Everyone interprets a books differently and so reads it in their own way. I now invite you, either in the comments, or if you have a blog in a blogpost, to list the ten books that have left a resounding impression on you. I look forward to reading your responses! 

Love Jess xxx
Share:

4 comments

  1. This is difficult, I have chosen 1) Milly Molly Mandy, 2) The Secret Garden, 3) Toms Midnight Garden, 4) Swallows and Amazon, 5) Time Travellers Wife, 6) Bible, 7) Wind & The Willows, 8) Any books by Miss Read, 9) The Poldark series 10) Roots

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to write down only one, but definitely worth reading!
    Jodi Picoult: The Story Teller.
    :) Great choice of books btw :)



    http://thepeteway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to have a look into that one! And thank you :) x

      Delete

© jesslouisekeen | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig